"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Little Things

It's the little things in life, isn't it?
The little things that can make my day extra lovely.
Learning about how my oldest went about anchoring her latest art masterpiece on the floor. A sweet sleeping one. Listening to her breath and watching her little chest rise and fall. Freshly baked cookies made by tiny hands.


The little things can also turn the day cloudy and dark...
if you let them...
A birthday dinner cut short because the littlest one need more than just a change of clothes and the car seat cover can give confirmation. Dressing, feeding, and loading lovelies to find the car will not start and the day's plans have been officially canceled. I'm learning to not let the little things that seem huge in the moment ruin the day but instead change it into something beautiful and fun.

It's been 2 years since my dad's passing. It's the little things about him I miss. It's the little things that make my heart ache, the little things that make me smile and laugh to myself when no one else in the room knows.
My dad loved wind chimes. Growing up, our backyard was a haven with a dark, lagoon pool, a hundred pecan trees, a sea of flowers and plants on a friendly deck...and many, many wind chimes. Whenever I hear a wind chime, I think of him.
For my birthday, I was given a wind chime. A beautiful, sparkly blue wind chime. It sounds heavenly. I can hear it when I pour my morning coffee, faintly hear it throughout the day, and it's the last thing I hear when I close my eyes at night.
Amazing how such a little gift can do so much for my heart.
(thank you Josh, Laura, & Alicia)

So here's to the little things...indulging in cookies for lunch, movies in mommy's bed, exchanging dresses for rough and tumble play clothes ready for mud and paint. Welcome, the little things that add doses of joy and fun to the day, to the moments we had not planned and were not expecting.


Thank you Father for the little things, the little gifts from you that help us know You care, You're near, and You love us oh so much.

2 comments:

  1. i love it. the little things are the most important, you're right Megan! every time i read your blog, it makes me smile! it is so refreshing how you love - love life, Jesus, your sweet girls & hubby and how you love people! being around you, the little things are that much better! loved our time together today - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow megan what a beautiful post! lots of love from across the seas :)

    ReplyDelete