"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Our Mornings

I love our mornings.
In college/pre-kids seasons, I was an expert at sleeping in and relished in my mornings of closed curtains that brought darkness and encouraged just a little bit longer...and that could be a few minutes or a few hours. I'll admit I do miss the days of feeling completely rested and having no responsibilities or necessities to pry me from my cold sheets and rise to the occasion of making meals, reporting to a classroom, or changing diapers.

My how things have changed a lot. The day begins early, in the dark, in the quiet. There is no lingering in bed or letting bright streams of sunlight wake me up.
And I'm fine with that and never thought I would be. I know the season of daily school drop offs and early morning practices are around the corner. For now, I love our mornings because they're ours. We have places to be but we can still set the pace and we can always call it a day even if it's only 9am.

I love how the coffee pot waits for me and I look forward to my lovely creamy cup.
I love how my hubby scratches my back as if to say we're a team, we're ready for this day.
I love how Emma wanders into our room puffy faced and mumbling because she's still a bit dreamy.
I love how Sophie talks to herself until she's picked up from her bed.
I love watching Alice stir and babble and how she smiles contently, eyes searching the room until she's cradled in mommy's arms.

Mornings bring a new day, a fresh start. The odometer is at zero for smooshed kisses on baby's cheeks, snotty-mid-knee kisses from a toddler who just can't wait for you to bend down to hug her, and the oldest one who wants me to watch her every victory...a beautiful mud pie, a baby doll wrapped just right, the biggest blown bubble in the world.
Yes, there are the mornings when little ones are in time out by 8am, the laundry has taken on a form of it's own and is spilling into the hallway, we're out of milk (or even worse, creamer), and I've changed clothes 3 times because my Bunny earned a perfect projecting score.
Our mornings are wonderful because they are ours. We are delighted to see what He has in store for us, who we will be blessed to meet, and how are hearts will be stretched, grown, and how we will love each other more than we did the morning before.

Dear mornings of cold dorm room sheets and heavy drapes, nowhere to be, and all the time in the world to dream and sleep. I faintly remember you and miss you at times...
but you don't come close in comparison to the sounds of my lovelies stirring, the smell of a Cherrio's kiss, and the vision of a day with my little girls ahead of us.

I love our mornings.


1 comment:

  1. Sweet treasures Meg- I couldn't agree with you more-mornings are precious with every new day that begins :)

    ReplyDelete