"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sweetness

"Today, the moment when I am most repelled by a child's behavior, that is my sign to draw the very closest to that child." ~Ann Voskamp
This is one of the sweetest things I've heard...I'll get to that in a minute.
But first...
We made donuts for the first time. I have never fried anything before nor did I know how. So, as those of you fryin' folks know, some donut dough and a bottle of Crisco later...there you have it, home-made donuts.
Sweetness on a plate!
What to do with the large (disgusting!) pot of oil? You have to carefully discard it and dispose of it in a container. Any fryin' momma knows if you pour hot oil down a sink, no one will know about it, the mess is taken care of quickly...but over time, the harshness and heat of the grease will erode the inside tubes in your sink.
And that's just gross.

But true.
Earlier this week, I had one of those days. A day when it felt like she didn't hear a word I said, didn't respond to a word I said, and was unfazed by consequences. I called my dear friend Abbey and cried, feeling helpless and frustrated. She called out the lies I was secretly already allowing to govern my thoughts and beliefs. She spoke truth to the places I had already given the enemy ground and a voice. I was in search for a step-by-step plan to help this child comply and make my day easier and less stretching.
I received no such response from Abbey...and I'm grateful.
Instead, she poured into me the truths of my heart to heart connection with my Emma. Reconnecting the places where the bridge to her heart and mine had been washed away with unkindness, frustration and impatience. She stirred my heart with the words to draw my little one in close when I am the most repelled by her choices. Because over time, my lack of affection and kindness will wound her inside. She may not be able to articulate how my responses affect her, but over time, the wounds will be there if I am not careful and intentional. This is a season of training for both a mommy and a little one.
I am learning. I am learning that the way I respond to my tiny ones in the midst of their failures matter beyond the moment of disobedience. Yes there are consequences to be given and learning to be absorbed, but the most important thing is loving her well through those times, through that moment.

Enjoy and relish in the sweetness of what He has entrusted me with...and carefully discard of the things that will not speak to her I believe in you...we can fix this...you are capable...I love you just the same.

...and thank you Abbey for your sweetness in my moment of weakness.


No comments:

Post a Comment