"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Friday, April 29, 2011

The Pause.

Pause: a temporary stop; inaction caused by uncertainty; hesitation.  ~Webster's

For this mama, motherhood is a catalyst for such pauses.
a pause from laundry to whip up tasty treats to watch the royal wedding with littles
The pause: Alice drops her paci and I'm not sure if I can bend down to get it while holding her, much less rise again after the squat...
Reason: because my overly-ambitious workout running the OU stadium stairs the day before once followed by a nap in my pre-baby days was instead followed by picking up the oldest from school and a full day with kids. (Note: this also applies to the last stages of pregnancy.)

The pause: freezing in the nursery as if being hunted by a T-Rex...
Reason: because I think if I don't move, the sweet little nugget won't see me and realize she hasn't been in my arms for hours.

The pause: saying to myself repeatedly Don't laugh, don't laugh, don't laugh...
Reason: because the Hulk reached her limit of the oldest's verbal taunting and decided to end it with a nice uppercut to her jaw.  A job well done but nevertheless not the best way to solve the problem.  Discipline is warranted but the mama keeping it together, keeping composure is now the goal.  I feel this pause happens often.
a pause in the day for a Dokeberry Slushy (lemonade, gatorade & berries)

And then there are the moments when I don't pause and wish I had.  When I react instead of respond and the lack of pause results in asking for forgiveness from a little one, and maybe the hubby too.  When I don't pause and instead rush the teachable moment, because my patience is lacking.  Ah, the pause would have served all of us well here.  

The pause.
Like the first moment you jump into a cold lake and it takes your breath away and all you can think about is how cold you are.
Or the words from the pastor's mouth "I now pronounce you man and wife" and the world stops because it's all your heart and soul want to soak in.  He's mine.  Forever.
For me, the pause is a life saver, the inspiration in the moment to dig deep and respond in the way my lovelies deserve and not be anywhere else but right there.

Today, I need more pauses.  More seconds and minutes for the Lord to decrease me and increase His love and affection, His perspective and joy.
a sissy pausing her playing to sing to her baby sister
Dear pause, I'm learning to love you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and a great reminder for all of us!

    ReplyDelete