"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Phrases of the Home

There's a lot of talking in our house.  Between the girls and my very social husband, let's just say it's never quiet and someone is always talking.  As in any family, we've coined many phrases and we know exactly what they mean.  Thought I'd share some...

"Call it a day" means you (child) have run out of good choices and I (mama) have run out of patience.  So your day is over, you're going to bed, for now at least.  And maybe the mama is too.

"Find/choose joy" means I believe in you, I know this lovely tantrum and ear piercing screaming isn't the real you.  So dig deep, baby and find some joy.  (Note: this applies to the mama too.)

"Need me to help?" means if I need to come help you and your sister work out this argument, there's a good chance my solution will entail elimination of the fought-over toy.

DC (diet coke) not a phrase spoken but a text from me to Chris, meaning, please bring a 32 oz. drink home for me because I didn't get to my to-do list today because I was too busy holding littles, changing diapers, and perfecting my under-dog on the swings in the backyard.  And I'm going to need the caffeine to stay up late.

"Enough" (accompanied with the snap) this is one I'm actually working to eliminate.  It means I've-reached-my-limit-with-your-behavior-and-want-it-to-end-NOW.  I'm seeing this one regurgitated and it's not pretty.

"I'm done" phrase spoken by mama to Chris referring to the littles, which translates to please take over for me right now or I may run away and hide in a cave or eat the whole bag of Oreos if I have to hear "she's touching me!" one more time.
I was paged at church to pick up my Alice...20 minutes into service.
Expected heart phrases: "Um, seriously?", "Really?", "Come on!".  For some reason, these didn't come to mind.  Instead, the phrase "My bunny is crying" went through my mind and I couldn't move fast enough to get to her.  She needs her mama and I'm more than happy to meet her there.
And there are no words or phrases to describe how she makes my heart feel when she's cuddling on my chest and I know there's nowhere else she'd rather be.
Guess what little one?  Me either.

3 comments:

  1. I know I've said it before but I will say it again. I love love love your blog. I get so much out of it every time I get to catch up on your posts. I only wish I lived closer so I could meet your sweet little girls :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Meg! We have some of the same phrases around our house... but we say "choose happy" with Henry. It must have started when he was really small and joy seemed to big a concept in the moment, so "choosing happy" or "finding our happy heart" is what has stuck. Love catching up on your sweet girlies too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your girls are so stinkin cute Meg!
    i love this post so much!

    ReplyDelete