"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spaghetti Calzone

We here at the Doke house love us some pizza, preferably large amounts dipped in Ranch.
The Pillsbury Pizza dough can and I love to try out various types of home-made pizza.
Mexican, pepperoni, cheese with fresh herbs, tomato pesto, classic sausage, etc.
Tonight's menu: Spaghetti Calzone 
What I love about cooking is the dish can be as simple or as piled-on-high as you like and/or have time for.  My pots of fresh herbs in my kitchen were acting like kids waiting to be picked at recess dodgeball...pick me, pick me!  So lots of freshness in the pizza this time.
Tonight's rustic look is courtesy of 3 littles waking up from naps at the same time and trickling into the kitchen.  I literally threw the dough on the sheet.
Recipe
1 can Pillsbury Pizza dough
parchment paper or cooking spray
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 lb. ground beef
1 jar spaghetti sauce
olive oil
2 c. mozzarella cheese
1 tbl. fresh rosemary (chopped)
1 tbl. fresh thyme (chopped)
parmesan cheese (for sprinkling)
garlic salt
***********
*preheat oven to 400 degrees
1.  saute garlic in olive oil 
2.  add beef, cook until done
3.  stir in spaghetti sauce (use half for pizza, half for another day)
4.  put parchment paper on a cookie sheet
5.  place dough on sheet, spoon sauce on one side 
6.  add mozzarella
7.  sprinkle with herbs
8.  close dough over, seal edges, crimp edge shut with a fork
9.  brush with olive oil, sprinkle garlic salt, parmesan cheese, and cut a few slits for steam
Pop it in the oven for 16-18 minutes until golden brown
...and get ready to enjoy!
(Side note: it also works to just crack open that jar of sauce, pour some out on the dough with some mozzarella cheese, fold that baby up, and throw it in the oven.  Ka-ching!  Dinner is served.)
I have been treating myself lacking self-control and have helped myself to Sophie's potty training treats therefore consuming a steady diet of donuts, Oreos, gummy bears, jelly beans, Cheetos...and so I'm looking forward to an actual meal with substance and protein.
And little hands will like it too.
Bunny wanted some too...soon little one, soon enough.
Happy weekend to you!

1 comment: