"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fatherhood

Fatherhood.  We have composed our own definition.
Dreamy.
He's just plain dreamy to us.
Fatherhood is the blessing to the leader of our house who loves us well, takes care of us, and makes the perfect ice cream sundae.  It's the unending job of setting limits, enforcing time-outs, and giving the tightest hugs imaginable.  The tasks of putting together bicycles and slip n slides with a little in his arms.
Patience, affection, love, and care.  The joys of fatherhood.

We spent the weekend playing in the sun, swimming, eating pizza, brownies, and watching these little gifts grow and play.  He does this well.
(Speaking of brownies, I was indecisive between my go-to peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough recipe and Betty's cake brownies, so I swapped coffee for the milk in the batter and threw it all in a pan and under-cooked it by 10 minutes.  I highly recommend it.)
Back to the daddy...
Miss Rose, she looks like him and has absorbed his love for people, friends, and anything social.

Sissy Lynn, she is loud like him and misses him when he leaves, every morning.

Bunny, she knows her daddy's voice and turns the minute she hears it.  It brings a smile to her face like nothing else does.

They're crazy about him.  His deep voice stirs up their hearts into a silly, happy volume.
The sounds of his car pulling into the garage, his keys in the back door, his shoes in the laundry. Sounds of him coming home, are by far their favorite of the day.
They run and hide, giggling and waiting.  Because they know he's coming to chase and tickle.

Today we are celebrating him.
Blueberry Banana Oat Pancakes
And today the little girl heart in me is celebrating, remembering, and wishing my daddy was here to taste these pancakes made with love by tiny hands.  Wishing he was here to endearingly read cheesy Hallmark cards, unwrap theme ties he would actually wear with pride, and hug me and tell me I'm his best girl.
And I wish he could know this best girl.  He would be so proud.

A special delivery came for us, a backpack specifically for Alice's feeding tube port.
Let the giddiness continue.

This will be our little friend for a season.  We are so grateful.

The celebrating will continue all weekend long.  We'll happily get lots of use out of our new backpack and bunny won't miss a beat.

We'll enjoy his hugs and so much more.
He is in the riches of fatherhood.  We love him more than he knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment