"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Saturday, June 25, 2011

If I Were a Food

If I were a food, I'd be scrambled eggs.  Tossed all over a sizzling skillet, a splash of salt and pepper, sprinkling of cheese.  Maybe a drop of Tabasco.  Yep, that's me.  Bouncin' around with a lot of things thrown in the mix.
I do love me some scrambled eggs though.  I wouldn't have 'em any other way.
And a side of Brown Sugar Blueberry Cream Pie, please.
recipe at the end of this post
Sophie made the graham cracker crust.  Although this one was extra thick.  Maybe a few more crackers were tossed in there, which suits us just fine.
Homemade whipped cream and topped with fresh blueberries from our Farmer's Market trip.
Perfection.
All mamas know this scene all too well.  Just one picture.  Nope, no one was having it.  Scrambled.
 Still scrambled. 
The oven was ready for some baking before our trip to the pool with friends.
Kerri's Cinnamon Coffee Cake, drenched in cinnamon icing.
We trickled outside to play just a bit while we waited for the house to burst with smells of cinnamon and sugar.  It didn't disappoint.

The perfect welcoming breakfast for my family's visit.
My mom is many things.  A mom, a friend, a lawyer.  And she's a wonderful cuddler.
I love Saturday mornings for many reasons.  The jammie bodied babies who play in the floor for hours after a homemade breakfast. Trailing around the house with lovies and sippy cups.
Watching cartoons and making plans.

Even when we're not actually baking until our heart's content, she's creating in her kitchen.
Grating parmesan just like that as Giada says.
And then we just had to go to Target and see what treasures we could find.  And my brother kindly played Sophie's game of how-many-times-can-we-drop-the-ball.
Like any baker's recipe, I'm a step by step girl.  It's coming in quite handy right now for the littlest one.
We finagle the day's plans around this new recipe to help Bunny grow.  It's my favorite one so far.
Because the plans on this list, the measurements, the additions, all of it makes her stronger.
We are more than hopeful, we are expectant and confident we will be done with the tube next week at our weigh in.  My girl knows it.
(She is loving her new foods too.)
Speaking of food, we had some delicious pizza with friends to support friends going to Africa in a few weeks.  A delightful evening for all.  We swam, chased little ones, watched them giggle and prune.
The guys played some basketball accompanied with tackling.
sweet Katelin

In this moment tonight, if I were a food, I would be Tiramisu.  My heart is soaked in layer upon layer of sweetness from time with family and friends.  Listening to a new bride-to-be tell of her plans of a winter wedding.  Watching friends hold my baby girl and rock back and forth, back and forth.  Catching up on how He's moving, how His current is flooding other homes and lives.
All to the tune of a summer's night that whispers it's not time to go home just yet.
Layer upon layer of His goodness and grace.
And maybe I'll just whip up some scrambled eggs tomorrow morning.  Just because.
Catherine, Shannon, Katelin

Brown Sugar Blueberry Cream Pie Recipe:
4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. whipped cream (homemade, with a splash of lemon extract)
1 graham cracker crust (we add a sprinkle of cinnamon to ours)
2 c. blueberries (any berry will do)
***********
- cook graham cracker crust, cool
- whip cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar together
- fold in whipped cream
- pour it in your pie pan as desired
- chill for 5 hours

2 comments:

  1. sweet Alice, getting so big and finally get her hands on the good stuff :)

    i cannot wait to come see you and those sweet girls, my little chefs! if there is one thing the Doke girls have conquered, it's the kitchen and all of it's glory! miss you and truly cannot wait to come over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the picture of Alice being held by Katelin. Her face is precious and priceless!

    ReplyDelete