"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Alice Update

I don't think I will ever catch up and there will always be something, endless work, to do.  When I give into the spirit of comparison I easily lose sight of His portion for me as I take on heaviness and pressure.  The beauty of it is most of the things are still there for me when I am able to pick them back up again.  
Sophie was almost potty trained in May but the skill quickly took a back seat when appointments and tests began for Alice.  So we're slowly picking it back up again.
This week I slowed down our pace and we've had a homey few days.  I thought my babies would get stir crazy.
Not the case.

More space means more baking.  Today's treat, Piled High Snicker Doodles (recipe below).
The recipe yields 36 cookies but I rebel and make 6 giant ones instead.  
I did leave the house for Alice's weekly appointment at Children's.  This week's visit brought great news and we are celebrating.
She's gained weight, up to 16.4 pounds now.  She has gained back almost all that she lost last week.  Booyah!

The amazing team at the GI Clinic at Children's are incredible to us.  This is one of the folks near and dear to us, Rebecca, Ali's nutritionist.  We are so grateful for her and the way she has cared for Alice.  Rebecca says we don't have to come back for a month.  She's that happy with Ali's growth and eating.  As I was leaving the office, Alice vomited all over the floor.  To me, a testing from the enemy to steal my joy and rob me of peace.  Too bad. I quickly reminded him of his place...underneath my foot.  His attempt to bring weapons of worry and fear are coming daily. Watching bumps on her eye lids and body.  Any time she vomits, wondering if it will get out of control again.
The best part is the LORD is my authority and it is He who holds her destiny in His mighty hands.
He hasn't given us a spirit of fear but of love, peace, and a sound mind.  Unshakable.
Don't mess with the mama.
Back to our homey week of play and adventure.
Sophie rebelled and turned on the hose, ignoring the water restriction rules.  Too late, a river of mud was perfectly created just before I could turn off the hose.
Littles were pleased.
And so were our sweet friends who came to play.
We will continue with our hourly feeds.  His grace is sufficient.  His rest restores my soul.
We will also meet with her surgeon in a month for a body scan and recheck of her tumor.
And as we wait, we will press into His promises and we will wait with expectant hearts.
And I will catch up and then get behind.  Because a afternoon nap under a cool fan, darkened room, with a little one's breath next to me is the berries.
My daughter Alice Elizabeth, who I am so proud of.

Love you Bunny.

Piled High Snicker Doodles 
1/2 c. butter (softened)
1 c. sugar
1/4 teas. baking soda
1/4 teas. cream of tarter
1 egg
1/2 teas. vanilla
1/2 teas. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. flour
***
3 tbl. cinnamon 
2 teas. sugar
1.  cream butter and sugar
2.  dump it all in and mix on high for a bit
3.  chill for 30 minutes
4.  grab a handful of dough, make a ball, roll it in the cinnamon and sugar
5.  dump extra cinn./sugar on top of cookies
6.  bake @ 375 for 13-15 minutes 
you'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

  1. Your words touch my soul. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the photos. Meg, your last three posts, wow. this blog fills up my heart! i'm so happy that Alice gained weight - booyah, it must of been all those goldfish! :) love you and your sweet family!

    ps. how in the world did you squeeze 36 cookies into 6 cookies, genius!

    ReplyDelete