"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

...Brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favorite things."
Julie Andrews, Sound of Music
girl's got her priorities straight...it's all about the shoes
In various seasons of life, I notice I keep a mental list of my favorite things.
No whiskers on kittens or warm woolen mittens for me.
Instead, in college, mid morning runs followed by Belgian waffles with whipped cream, a darkened dorm room for an afternoon nap, color-coding my lecture notes with highlighters.
a runner's view in Colorado
As a teacher, giving spelling tests with silly sentences, watching a little one strive and succeed, the smell of paper mache.

And in the season of motherhood, my lists are full.  Unending.
Jammied babied bodies in the morning, with puffy eyes and warm smiles, the smell of Cheerio's, the little tugs at my dress, watching sisterhood grow and bloom.



Taking advantage of the small town we live in to visit Chris at work.  Just because.
My girl knows he adores her even though he's gone all day.
Little faces staring back at me.  She watches me constantly.  There's something so simply sweet about finding this tiny face and staring right back at her, whenever I want.
There's more.

Sand dusted sheets dampened from sunscreen and pool water, because they played hard, you know.

Excitement that builds because we've been waiting for this new store to open...and it has.

It cracks me up how excited they have been for this organic store to open.  And deep down I wish I was like these folks inside, all healthy and natural.  If I could shed off this thick layer of fast food love with an extra side of anything fried, I would.  Because let's be honest, my dream day is a McGriddle for breakfast, Whataburger for lunch, and Bueno for dinner.  You betcha.

Piles of cotton pinks and purples that were lucky to be washed, folded, but will more than likely never make it to the drawers.
Fresh coffee in the morning.  Hazelnut candle that burns slowly all day long.
My dear friends, with the understanding that we are all in this together.  Learning from each other and being there to listen when we need it most.

My running playlist.  I put on my Poker Face, to respond to Who run the world?  GIRLS!  And I Boom Boom Pow through the miles like a Glamorous Hot Steppa, because I'm Stayin' Alive...Wyclef Jean style.
a dreamy running trail


And the cherry on top.
His grace that comes each morning because yesterday didn't go as I planned, my unkindness and lack of patience disappears with the setting sun and today is a new day.

Ann Voskamp shares her lists of gratitude in One Thousand Gifts, my friend Abbey recommended it.
Solid choice.  A fresh perspective anchored in the Father's desire for a thankful heart.  I'm learning.

"I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad."
Well said Julie.

1 comment: