"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Friday, July 1, 2011

Just Chillin'

I feel like I am the pulse-keeper for the home.  I can read my girls and the overall atmosphere of the house. Knowing we're up for a challenge.  Knowing we can tackle a day of errands and play dates.  Maybe a non-stop schedule full of responsibility and fun.
Maybe a milestone of a baby's first haircut.  My girl is growing, you know.  And her hair was in need of a trim.  And mama snuck a few kisses too.
And I know when we're just not up for anything.  When the pulse says the new goal for today is to only love them well and respond the way they need most.  So the laundry piles higher and the dirt happily grinds its way deeper into every inch of the house.
A scratched day is needed.  And that means you can stay in your jammies as long as you want.  You can carry your breakfast with you.
Come and go from outside as you fancy.  A mid day movie is the perfect break from playing and creating.  There's no reason to tidy up.  Lunch bowls are a great accessory to wherever their little feet are taking them.
But we're home, we're resting, and we're listening to the pulse that whispers, slow down please.  We venture out when we want to and take our time.  No schedule.  Just chillin'.
We allow space in our hearts to practice the things that matter, like sharing, savoring, and dreaming of our next kitchen creation.
We talk about how he's coming home soon.  How after we enjoy chicken soaked in herbs from my mama's garden, we'll scrounge around for some swim suits and swim until it's dark and our feet are pruned to perfection. We'll bring tired sun kissed babes home.
Maybe a bath, maybe not.  Does it matter when we'll just hit the repeat button for tomorrow?
Nope.  Because cold sheets dusted with sand and smells of sunscreen that welcome little bodies don't care.  There are no have-to's when you're just chillin'.

1 comment:

  1. oh these photos make my heart so happy!!! the Doke girls just have something special! :)

    ReplyDelete