"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Weekend Joys

Boo got her hair chopped this weekend.

Sister despises me fixing her hair.  Even on mornings of success of twirling braids and curls, it still ends up looking like this 5 minutes later, followed by the evening joy of combing through the tangles.  Not my favorite way to close out the day.
So mama laid it down this weekend.  Chop.  Chop.
The day of good news from Alice's doctors ended with our kitchen sinks filling with sewage.
A pitiful attempt from the enemy to close out the day in frustration, trying to steal our joy with mess, horrible stench, and hassle.  Bring it on.  I laughed.  Because it doesn't matter.
That precious little one is tucked in tight, sawing logs and dreaming dreams, cuddled between her 2 lovies in her cozy crib.  She's growing and experiencing restoration from her Father.
Bring on the mess.  I can deal.

She will look back on this season some day as a toddler, as a little girl.  And she will know and see that He moved in power in her tiny body.  She will hear the stories, because we will tell them, of how she fought hard and how He sustained her.  How doctors changed their minds and feeding tubes were dismissed.
Heaven on earth, baby girl.

After the kitchen sink mess was cleaned up, we had some more celebrating to do.  Emma and Sophie are donut consumers, they take after their mama.  They are back sharing a room together again and some big girl choices were warranting some rewards.  A simply fantastic kickoff for the weekend approaching.

Little one had a taste of goodness too.  Secret's out.

It gets better.  My mama and brother came for the weekend.  We made our regular trip to Target in search of treasures.  This trip, 1st day of school outfits and shoes.

Not before we filled our bellies with cinnamon raisin waffles.

Cinnamon Raisin Waffles
Use your favorite waffle recipe.
I used Bisquick.  No shame in the box stuff.
add to it:
- 3 teas. cinnamon
- 2 teas. sugar
- 1 teas. vanilla
- 1/2 c. raisins (the hubs isn't crazy about this part so you can certainly omit this step)
- dig in, after thoroughly soaking it in syrup and butter
As always, the weekend delivered.
Babies were loved on.  Doing nothing was embraced.


We are drinking in summer to the very last drop.  This one starts school on Tuesday.  She clarifies 2-35 times a day that school is coming.  We've met the teachers, purchased her school supplies, and her backpack came in the mail.  She's ready.
Mama is working on it.  I love that she loves school.  I love our school.  I love her teachers.
But I am already sad about dropping her off in a few days.  Watching my little free spirit sache into her classroom, not even glancing back at the car.
This one will leave for far off places some day.  I know it deep in my soul.
I think Baby Lynn will stick closer to home.  Not sure.  Her independence comes in spurts usually coupled with determination and flare.
I like it.
Tonight I watched Bunny her play in bubbles until the day's adventure faded and only left a sun-kissed baby smelling sweet and fresh.  I nursed my tiniest one and went to lay her in her crib but she nuzzled into my neck like she did the first time we met.  She does this from time to time and it melts me.  We rocked and cuddled until her breath changed into a slow rhythm of tenderness.
I love this thing of motherhood.  I love these moments when I know I have been entrusted with treasures.  There's no price tag to be attached to a soft, sweet babe in your arms.  It's a privilege and a gift.  
Only a sliver of the weekend joys.

2 comments:

  1. Megan, I cried tonight as I read your blog! I can't help but be so proud of the wonderful, caring,loving mommy that you are! Wow!!!! Your girls truly are the most darling girls in the world!!!! Love Sophie's new haircut!!!! I remember those days of trying to comb out Toni's tangles at the end of the day! The way to embrace each day with your girls is just so heartwarming!!! I also remember dropping Toni off at Gingerbread and could not believe she was so ready for "school", so my heart goes out to you on those feelings we as moms have when our children reach another big step in growing up!!!! Again, I am truly thankful Toni has you and Chris as such incredible role models!!! Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete