"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Monday, September 26, 2011

Crying Uncle

Sometimes I have trouble saying no.  
Sometimes the week is double booked, the hubs works outside the box of 8-5pm, and the antibiotics hardly chipped away at the mama's sickness.
That's when it's not as hard to say no.  Cry uncle, if you will.
Tonight, I sent up my white flag.  And it felt really good.
We kept the day simple.  The highlight being Ali Beth's birthday celebration with my family.
We opened gifts in the back yard and talked about how big our girl is.
 
Emma proudly made her a card and could hardly wait for her to open it.
My mama and brother love them some Alice.  Sister knows it too.

We said no to house work and laundry, and said yes to perfecting hula hooping and making dirt pies.

We reflected on how we've seen Him restore and heal, bring joy and tender memories in waiting rooms and doctor's appointments.
There's so much to celebrate.
So after family naps, we said no to going out and yes to staying around the nest.
Family walk.  Cold pizza.  Lovies in tow.
Sister dressed herself.  Who doesn't love some flare?
We said yes to them setting the pace and course, taking us to the pond after a picnic dinner.
Baby girl loves to feel the sand in her toes and fingers.  She just sat there happy as can be, pushing her toes in deeper.

The hubs and I sat and watched, talking about our babies.  How different they are, how blessed we are they are ours.
One of the most memorable nights we have stored away in our hearts.
Nope to cleaning up from our weekend of play and yes to popcorn and a movie.

There are times when I can't say no, it's not an option.  Which makes me that much more grateful for the choice to retreat, lay down pride, and be with my babies.
To savor simplicity when life allows.

Saying no felt good.  Crying uncle was way more fun anyways.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for encouraging me to "cry uncle" and just enjoy! Visiting from Ann's...beautiful story, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete