"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Friday, October 7, 2011

Motherhood, Order Up

Motherhood.
I've only been at this motherhood thing for about 5 years now.  Still feeling like the new kid in school, the freshman getting her locker shaving creamed, the unassuming late bloomer awaiting a toilet swirly and wedgie.
Plenty of moments where I am clueless of where to begin cleaning up the mess or responding in a concrete fashion she will absorb.
These kids rock my world.  They shake up my comfort level, reflect my ugliness, tear up my house, and steal my brain cells for their agendas.
Agendas being their accidents on the carpet, tantrums in Target, uppercuts to each other's provoking mouths, poop in the bath tub, the endless bickering over the half broken Happy Meal toy.
This motherhood thing is really hard.
I contemplate a fabulous getaway where no one whines my name or requires my assistance in wiping.
But where's the fun in that?
It's in those moments I dig deep and find the truth.
Because she's not an inconvenience to me but an answer to contending and fighting for the deepest desires in my soul to carry her, nurse her in the moon light, and watch her grow into this beautiful creature mixed with her daddy's love for people and her mama's stubborn sweetness.  And for that, my gratitude runs deep into every place of my heart.
My baby turned one this week and I'm all sappy and thinking a lot.  Still stuck in the phase of only wanting to play with them and be useless everywhere else.  
This week, play was once again the winner.  That is until the hubs carefully asked about the inch of dirt on the ceiling fans and where his clean underwear might be.
Oops.
So I vacuumed.  Lines in the carpet always make me feel better and give off the illusion the house is clean. Threw in a load of laundry and got back to it.
It being, her.

The all play and no work thing has made for some interesting dinners.  No worries.  A can of pesto, mozzarella cheese, and pizza dough stepped up to the plate.
Pesto Pizza Rolls.

Babies wanted to help and then ate the whole thing.

Home run, baby.

This week although I did not retreat away to a small cave somewhere remote, I did sneak away with other mamas to celebrate our friend Kristin.  She's having a baby girl, you know.

Anniston Joy.  We can't wait to meet you, hold you, and tell you how loved you are.

My friend Brooke.  Gorgeous.  Simple as that.  She's just gorgeous altogether.
And in her arms, the sweetest baby girl, Halle Beth.

We stayed after gifts were opened, oohing and ahhing over each one.  Sherbert melted and candles faded while mamas talked late into the evening.  Relishing in rich conversation of blessed friendship.

Sipping on coffee as our hearts trailed off to what else, our babies.
Motherhood.

Even in the midst of time away from it our heart strings intertwine us back into conversation and heart postures towards our little ones.
Something this sweet mama-to-be will soon know.

More celebration was in store as our week carried on with the usual.  One item on the agenda, Bunny's check up.
Girl's packing on the pounds.  She weighs 17.12 pounds.  19%, well onto the growth chart.

Atta girl.  Just as we expected.

We took our happy chubby little selves back to the nest.  We spent some good time at home this week.
Plenty of time.



Playing outside and reading our new book that came in the mail.  Last weekend sparked my love for this book and we just had to grab it.
Motherhood.
I think it's the berries.  Even in the midst of the challenge and sacrifice, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. 
Because she's perfect for this family.  Perfect for me.
And we make messes, clean 'em up and move on.  We learn from our mistakes and fill up each other's love tanks as much as we can.  We read stories that make us smile and play in the sun until we're caked with dirt and grime.


I will pull up to the drive thru of blessing to place my order of one large motherhood with 3 small babies, a messy house, worn out body, and a side of heart deepening honor and gratitude.
Order up.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man Megan, love this post! You put some words to heart feelings that I've definitely had. And love the pesto pizza rolls...will be making those in the immediate future!

    ReplyDelete