"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Butter, Syrup, & Halloween


My sweet older brother Rod brought it to my attention that from the blog, you'd think all I serve my kids is cookies wrapped in Crisco with a side of butter and syrup.  Eh, yes we do like to cook it up but I promise they eat healthy the rest of the time.  

Pinky promise.
And while we're on the topic, we've been cooking like mad lately and I have plenty to share.
But first, Halloween.


Our Halloween was just plain super.

The girls wanted to be the same thing this year, settling in on pink butterflies.  My mom happily obliged and delivered, what else, pink butterfly costumes. 


Thanks Muka, the costumes were perfect.

I love me some dressed up babies going door to door to see our friends, our neighbors, accumulating chocolate goodies and giggling along the way.

the lovely Cochell family


We began the night with friends, over bubbling chili with littles at our feet and on our hips.



I seriously can't get enough of this sweet one, Cambelle.  Good groceries, she's the sweetest.

We ended the night catching up with more friends for delicious food and treats for the babies, tucked under cozy blankets to the tune of mamas and daddies catching up in the kitchen.

Delight.

Asher, Ella, and Emma

We had ourselves a fantastic time.

**
Today's forecast has delivered dreariness and cold temperatures.  Boo has a double ear infection and Bunny's nose is a continual faucet, so we brought it back to the nest after bible study.
Some movies, some lunch, and some playing.  And if you leave us Doke girls with enough time on our hands, we find ourselves in the kitchen for some mixin' and making.

My friend mentioned to me that you can make Candy Bark out of your kid's Halloween candy.

I'm in.

I found this recipe and then tweaked it just a bit.  You just chop up all of their chocolate candies and smoosh 'em down in some melted chocolate, stick it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.  The pull out the pan, drizzle some peanut butter, smoosh in some M&M's and stick it back in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.  And presto, you've got dessert.

May I say that skipping the white chocolate and going with peanut butter instead was a solid choice.

And the makin' continues.
Tonight we're catching up with some friends for some Mexican deliciousness and we needed ourselves some salsa.  PDub to the rescue.  Truly, if you are ever in need of fabulous sarcasm and amazing recipes, Ree Drummond is the berries.

And her salsa recipe is easy, fast, and tasty.

Before she could eat it with a spoon, Sister crashed for the afternoon.  She's working on 3 teeth and in her own sweet way was pleading for someone to put her in a crib.  She happily went to sleep, no doubt dreaming about these morsels we made a few days ago.
Spiced Pancakes with maple butter and powdered sugar.

This recipe delivered.  I recommend it next time you're wanting to change things up a little bit.  We add more amounts of spices than the recipe calls for and instead of Pam, I peel back the wax paper on a stick of butter and coat the griddle in between rounds of batter, always a good move.

Okay, so maybe Rod has a point.  I'm just sayin'.

My never ending mountain is awaiting me.  That, and the perfected afternoon cup of coffee.
Sweet one will be awake soon and when she does, I must gobble her up.

With butter and syrup of course.

1 comment:

  1. such cute costumes and I love Alice's hair!!

    ReplyDelete