"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mundane Everyday


This lovely little treasure is full.  She is full to the brim with joy and determination, fire and tenderness.  Serving up hugs and kisses each morning and cuddling coos at night.

My heart swells.  She belongs to me.
**
Our week has been wonderful.  Play dates, Bible Study, and laundry all set to the backdrop of dreary cool, fall weather.  For sure the temperatures that call for cups of coffee well past the breakfast time of day.  My sweet friend Abbey and her sister Allison make their own coffee creamer.
Genius.

Chris was working one night so the girls and I were nibbling on random things for dinner and playing with Tupperware in the floor, so I seized the moment and quickly made a batch of Pumpkin Spice Creamer.

Pumpkin Spice Creamer
1 c. half/half
1/2 c. pumpkin
2 tbl. sugar
Whisk over medium until bubbling.
Remove from heat and add...
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin spice (or 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ginger, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. cloves)
1 tbl. vanilla
chill and serve.

I want to stick a straw in the pitcher and slurp the whole thing.  For now, the swirling white clouds that turn my hot coffee into dreamy, silky pumpkin will suit me just fine.

It's the little things.  And there are plenty of little trinkets weaving through my heart right now.

It all began when I attempted to walk into my "walk in closet" and I couldn't get very far.  Let's be honest that's how it's been for months, maybe years.
But for some reason today, I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Yep, that's a potty at the top.  Why that's in my closet is beyond me.  


Blame it on procrastination, lack of time, or ridiculously late spring cleaning because I had a sick baby last spring and organization was low on the priority list.

Now, it was time.

I came across plenty of things my heart had tucked away on a shelf.  The hospital bracelets when my littles each came into the world.
The cards wishing us well on our new adventures as parents.

Blessing.

The cards promising time heals all wounds when you lose a parent.
I found the dress I wore to my daddy's funeral and memories flooded my heart.
The reel is turning from that cold winter day.
The day I left my newborn Sophie at home and drove in the snow, pulling up to my childhood church building and telling Chris I don't know if I can do this.  He squeezed my hand.
A car pulled up and my precious friends jumped out all at once and rushed to hug me.
Grabbing a hold to the garments of praise.

Grace.

Preserved memories that filtered through my mind as I weeded out junk and sorted mittens and socks.

I smiled and held in tears.
You're just cleaning out the closet, keep it together.

Because the truth is, He'll take any avenue to rush into my heart.  Bringing His reflection and healing into closet cleaning madness.

Gratitude.

And speaking of thankful, I am super grateful for Five Guys Burger.  Seriously, now.  We've been scouring the construction for months and a few weeks ago spotted the much craved sign Now Open.  We marched ourselves right in there.



Sulley joined us for some grub too.

Final verdict, it's worth the hype.  Well worth it.
Sister agrees.

The week is coming to a close.  Trips to school, ballet class, grocery store runs, cleaning, endless laundry, and daily grinds are coming to a halt.  The weekend is on the horizon.
Syrupy breakfasts, football humming in the background, and more play, less work.

More time for baking some of our fall favorites and jazzing them up a bit.
Banana Bread with Cinnamon Swirls.  Use your favorite recipe and mash it to bits with a potato masher.  Lay 1/3 of batter in the pan, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar.  Lay another 1/3, repeat.  Repeat until there's a layer of cinnamon and sugar dusting on top.
Hidden sweetness with every bite.

This weekend, we'll trickle to the park and I'll think about how she's almost 3 year old.
How did that happen?

It reminds me of how I found her birth announcement in the obsessive closet clean out.  How she was tiny but loud, fiery from the start.
How she came in a season marked with grief and brought with her sweet, pink skin the Lord's joy and tenderness.

You just cleaned out the closet, keep it together.
But my heart swells continue and they create.
Creating the moments that move me out of my warm bed in the middle of the night to tip toe into her room, slip into her bed, and tell her she's wonderful.  To listen to her breath and pray His grace and joy over her heart.

The moments that my heart swells with gratitude when my daddy's little phrases about life make me smile and cry at the same time, when they come true and I realize there's a lot of him in me and I like it.

The moments my heart is reminded of the friendship and love from my surroundings of friends and family, of every day notes, baby shower Hallmark poems, and birthday wishes.

All from cleaning out a closet.

He is in everything.  Expect greatness the next time I dive into the mundane everyday.

Because He's there.


1 Chronicles 29:11
"Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; and this is your Kingdom, O Lord, and we adore You as the One who is over all things."

3 comments:

  1. how fun! I don't typically add cream to my coffee, but the pumpkin spice makes me want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you talk about your dad is so genuine. I love that.
    Baby girls are growing up... I swear we are in a time warp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that my closet isn't the only one that looks like that- I'll sleep a little better tonight :-)
    Thanks for sharing about your Dad...you can't even comprehend it until you've lived it. Then you want to forget those moments for a while, but healing always comes when you least expect it. Loved the posting!

    ReplyDelete