"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Open Sea

We celebrated our 7 years.  We sailed ship to our favorite spot.  Cheevers.  It's quaint, cozy, romantic, and delicious.  The hubs looked handsome, as always.
We talked a lot about us and our story.

Our story, condensed, is simple.
We were set up on a blind date, meeting up with another couple at a high school football game.  I didn't want to go.  I didn't look cute, wore no make up, and showed up an hour late.  We shook hands and I knew my life would never be the same.
We broke up 3 times, once on Valentine's Day.
We were engaged after 7 months of dating, still living in different cities.
We planned our wedding and got hitched 99 days later.
So met, dated, engaged, and married in 11 months.  Boom.
I was 23, he was 31.  Yep, big age gap.
Emma came at 25.
Sophie came 27.
Alice came at 29.

And I was right.

My life has never been the same.
Thanks for choosing me babe, your grace and patience for me is astounding and doesn't go unnoticed.  I may never know how much you love me, how hard you work for us, carrying the load of provision and leadership.
I do know you're perfect for me and you're a dream come true.

Happy Anniversary.
***
I'm feeling all sappy and mushy, many loves are swelling in my heart.

I love to be at home.



I love the pace slowing down, the simplicity that sets up camp.  The sunlight that spills into each room touching babies' faces and creating the perfect shadows for her adventurous heart.

I love watching my friends with their babies.  How each of us is on our own journey, in our own ships, on the same sea nonetheless.  But each captain steers her ship in her own way.  No one baby is the same and so each mama serves up kisses, meets them in their failures, guides them from poor choices, and showers them with love, all in her own wisdom.

All different.  All just lovely.






I love what motivates me and how it can change at any given moment.

The catalyst that shoves me into action of a grocery store run is when I am near the end of coffee creamer.  Because the turkey and bread can run out, even the milk, while the fruit bruises and smooshes into the cracks in the refrigerator.  I can deal.  I can make anything out of Bisquick for dinner.
But if the treasured creamer is near the end, I must go.  I must load up my ship with bundled babies armed with fishies and sippies, blankets, lovies, and school bus toys, and off we will go.
This captain knows the important items necessary to run her ship.
Must. Have. Creamer.


And my favorite love of the moment, the afternoon nap.  Slipping under heavy blankets with blinds pulled shut. The hum of the ceiling fan and faint smell of the cookies we baked instead of cleaning up the mess we made. The touch of her little back scooted up to mine, watching the other one's chest rise and fall into a slow trance of dreamy rest.  Drifting off letting go of all that should be, the to-do's, the expectation of perfection and productivity and joining them in rest wrapped in cuddles.

Bliss.

This weekend we will set sail, embarking on more loves and hidden treasures.  Recipes waiting to be discovered and consumed.  Crafts eager to be created by sweet little hands.  Time with friends and time with each other.
Until then, we'll snack on Lolli's Cranberry Almond Oat cookies.  The bigger the cookie, the better they go down with a glass of milk.  I'm all about pumpkin, but this recipe is worth digging into the season ahead, of sleigh bells and snow.
And speaking of pumpkin, these pumpkin biscotti with cream cheese icing go fabulously with a cup of coffee.  Honest.

I love how when I have a few hours to myself, I can dock ship and slip into dreamy land where I am a pastry chef, with my own bakery on campus corner.  
Today's special is hot and fresh, come and get it.
The open sea is grand.  It's full and it's beautiful, mysterious and nothing short of adventure.
I love it.  I love every moment on this voyage.

2 comments:

  1. Precious! I have to agree on the creamer too!! That made me laugh out loud because I made a 911 trip today for just that!

    ReplyDelete