Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving is Coming

Fall days are just the best.

Especially when the agenda includes a field trip to the Dinosaur Museum.  I had a morning of child-free errands planned.  Emma's plans for me included coming to her field trip.
It's amazing how her little voice and baby blues can easily change my schedule and heart.

Friday was welcomed in with loads of tantrums and professional grade button-pushing between sisters.  I thought I was going to lose it.  After contemplating running away or eating a whole pan of cookies, I pulled it together, as the patience testing opportunities for me continued.
Although not all mistakes by littles were too terrible.

We stumbled upon this delicious mishap.
Almond Nutmeg Pancakes.
Emma was adding cinnamon, just a sprinkle.  Sophie was adding nutmeg and in her rebellion dumped in almost half the jar.  Hence, nutmeg pancakes were born.

Almond Nutmeg Pancakes
1 egg
3/4 c. milk
2 tbl. melted butter
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbl. sugar
3-4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. sliced almonds
- whisk dry ingredients, add to wet ingredients
- cook 'em up
And we love the idea of using a pizza slicer to quickly cut up hot cakes for little bellies.
Good mistake.  The concoction will be repeated again because they were tasty.
Just ask Bunny.
We caught up with some friends for dinner and I thought these morsels would be perfect for an evening of chatting and football.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies.
Oh, good groceries.

Kudos to Laurel for sending this recipe my way.
I mean we're lucky the batter made it to the cookie sheets.  Although I'm not sure how many peanut butter cups Boo savored.
**
Emma and Sophie went to our church's day camp for little ones on Saturday.  The harvest is plentiful and we've got warriors living in our homes, sleeping in our beds, eating our grub.  They have rank, they're valuable.  And they loved spending a morning learning so.

Royalty, bringing their dance and worship before the throne, before Him.

I've decided there's nothing better.



We happily carried on with our weekend.



Baby girl loves her some swinging.  Sister cackles the entire time and could be content with sitting there all afternoon.



After the park and naps with babies, we headed out for a birthday party for our sweet friend Sean Edward.

We love this little guy.  I remember the night he came early into this world and since then, he's been such a delight.
Happy birthday precious one.

The weekend.

We cleaned up messes, gave little sister a voice, mediated important disputes over hairbrushes, and met mistakes with grace, digging deep into the well of parenthood storehouses of His mercy and patience.  I need a barn these days, for lots of grace and lots of gratitude for the little ways they love me.  Lately, it's little tokens left on my night stand.  I usually find them as I'm climbing into bed at night.

My heart is full.

The week ahead holds a weekend atmosphere of family and friends, gathering around many tables for a feast of gratitude and love.
New recipes, old favorites.

We'll celebrate our Sophie over a much requested blue cake.  I'll tell her the story of the morning she came to us. I'll tell her how her cheeks were kissed a thousand times and how she brought us so much joy.

And how she still does.
 And so does this little one.
And this one too. 
So here's to the week to come.  Here's to hearts bursting with thankfulness and kitchens full of goodness.
For cuddling babies and naps after bellies are full.
 Thanksgiving is coming.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing. Your girls are as
    beautiful as ever! The recipes look so yummy.
    :) Happy Thanksgiving! (I'm baking my first
    turkey this year :/ )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it was a beautiful Thanksgiving friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post and I adore how your little girls are leaving you surprises and "love" notes on your night stand. Makes all of the stress and tears worth it!

    ReplyDelete