Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year


Little One,
The other night your mama was tired.  The day was long, the tasks wrapped in blessing, challenge, and sacrifice.  We met friends for a birthday celebration and sweet Caroline tucked you in just right.

And the secret swelled up in my heart.
I wanted to place your sweet body in your jammies and sway in the darkness, singing to you there's no place I'd rather be, and listen to you coo and respond in your own little way.

I wanted to kiss your cheeks and pray His glorious love and affection over your life.  And as I lay you in your crib and glance back over my shoulder at you, I wanted to smile and relish in the truth, the blessing.
You belong to us.

As I slipped into your nursery to touch your back and feel the rise and fall of your breath, I noticed you needed a diaper change.  And a bath.  Secret revealed and fulfilled.
After I zipped up fresh jammies on your bubble bathed body, I turned off the lights.
I swayed and sang while you cuddled and cooed.

Simple perfection.

And these tender moments mixed with my pregnancy hormones have me all sappy and in a state of remembrance and reflection of the last year.
But first, a little craving overcame me today.  I just needed a bite of a brownie.  Not just any brownie, a brownie in a mug.
Brownies in a Mug
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tbl. cocoa
2 tbl. coffee
2 tbl. oil
2 tbl. of each peanut butter and pecans
(but you can add whatever goodness you have in your kitchen)
- mix it in a mug, do your best not to just eat the batter, and nuke it for a minute.
I just needed a bite.  And let me say the bite delivered.
So now the belly is full, the babies are tucked in, and the sappy mama sits, thinking about lots of things.
I ask the Lord for a word every year and He always delivers.  Early last year He spoke the word receive to me.  That He would bring my heart to a place of receiving from Him and others.

My goodness.
I was given many opportunities to choose His peace over fear, His trust over anxiety, and receiving His grace over pride.





As much as I want to take many trips down memory lane, I find myself very much desiring the present, the today.  So I will just choose a few of the snapshots that barely graced the surface of the blessings we encountered this year.
Our first family vacation to Colorado at Trail West.  The best week our family has ever had.

Playing with my babies and watching their imaginations and personalities bloom in the summer sun.
This baby, oh how she already has a story.  A story of trusting in Him when tests and labels continued to come.  I can't wait for her to learn and know her story of how He grew and restored her precious body.  I love her story, I love this memory.


Celebration of 7 years with my hubby.  I love this man.  Period.

We made lots of memories together and never grew tired of their giggles, messes, questions, pleas, and adventures.
The littlest one turning a year old, the middle one turning 3 years old, and come next month, my baby will be 5 years old.

This past year was an open canvas in the kitchen and we painted ourselves some masterpieces for sure.  The year's favorite, Cinnamon Roll Pancakes.



And the best gift and biggest surprise is brewing, growing, and will soon be in our arms.
We're looking forward to the year to come as this year comes to a close.  Many days coming of time together with family and friends, of weeks spent in the winter cold baking and painting, of toasty summer days spent in pools and sprinklers.  Sidewalk chalk masterpieces are coming.
New horizons are upon us.

And Little One, one thing this mama's heart is looking forward to, nights tucking in babies and knowing we have been entrusted with royalty.
We've been given you.
Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Love your sweet writing! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your express your heart. It most definitely resonates with mine when it comes to the privilege of being a mama. "And as I lay you in your crib and glance back over my shoulder at you, I wanted to smile and relish in the truth, the blessing . . . You belong to us." And, "And Little One, one thing this mama's heart is looking forward to, nights tucking in babies and knowing we have been entrusted with royalty. We've been given you." What a gift my friend. So thrilled to know you are a mama 4x over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words, Meg. When you speak words of reflection on your own journey I am encouraged with mine and Ash's. Thanks. Oh, and beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete