"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Friday, January 20, 2012

For Rose

5 years ago on a cold winter's night, sheets of ice glazed the streets and tree limbs, snow covered the ground in sparkling cascades of shimmering white.  I went to sleep, you growing in my belly.  You woke me up.  You were ready to come into the world.  We rushed to the hospital, going all of 25 miles an hour because of the ice.  After 8 hours of labor, your heart rate dropped too low and even though nurses tried to stop the labor, it persisted and you slipped into even lower heart rates.  My wonderful doctor, oh how we love her, said it was time, time to get you out.  They rolled us into an operating room and a few minutes later, the sweetest little face was staring at me over the blue sheet.  The softest cry and then pursed, rose-budded lips into a content pout.  My heart bursted.  I've never been the same.

You were here.

This week you turned 5 and we are celebrating.  There is much to celebrate Miss Rose.

We kicked off Emma's birthday with a special date to IHOP for pancakes in her jammies with her daddy.  He tip toed into her room, scooped up her sleeping body, and whispered Wanna go get breakfast with me?  She woke up and excitedly whispered Yes!

Later in the day we went to school with her selected snack of donuts.  Solid choice.









For dinner, Sister wanted a burger, fries, and a milk shake.  This kid makes me proud.

Gifts were opened and tested out.

The rest of the week ensued with pancakes for lunch, naps with littles tucked under sheets in mama's bed, grocery store trips.  And speaking of pancakes, I must share this recipe for pancakes, a new favorite around these parts.
Cranberry Oat Pancakes.  The batter is lumpy and wonderful, you'll want to scoop it right off the griddle.

Cranberry Oat Pancakes
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
a little less than 2 tsp. baking soda 
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. buttermilk
4 tbl. melted butter
1/2 c. oats
1/2 c. chopped cranberries
- throw it all in a bowl and get to mixin'
- scoop it on your griddle, cook, and flip

They make a perfectly sticky and sweet lunch, preferably followed by a long nap.

The week continued on with house appraisals and inspections.  Sometimes I forget we're moving soon, leaving this house we have become a family in.  Leaving the home we brought our babies home to.  New chapters of adventure await us and we're ready.

While our new house is having some remodeling done, our gracious friends the Ho's have offered their home to us.  That's 4 adults and 5 kids under one roof.
Good groceries, we're going to make some memories.

Flowers from my sweet family.
But today, the birthday celebrations paused us from our sorting and packing.
My girl came in a season of boys.  Most of my closest friends had little guys around the time she was born.  They are all in school together now, most of them in the same class.  They seem so big now.  So since school was out, we asked them to come for an afternoon at the park to play and nibble on cupcakes.
And they accepted to the Bear's delight.



I don't yet know if this baby in my belly is a princess or a prince, but I know that being around all of these mighty men makes my heart whisper somewhere deep inside, I want a little boy.
















The weekend has plenty in store.  A visit from family with cousins packed into every part of this house.  The coffee will brew late into the night for catching up and reconnecting.  Lori's casserole will greet us in the morning.  The park will call our name later in the day.  Friends are coming for dinner, house church on Sunday.  And come next weekend, the princesses will rally.  Emma and the girls are headed out for some gymnastics and cake.  It will be a lovely and wonderful commencement to birthday celebrations.

I will watch my girl and soak her in.  My Bear, Miss Rose, our Emma.  You are a delight and precious in His sight.  We asked for you and He gave you to us.

We are grateful.

Happy birthday little one.  You are loved more than you will ever know.
And happy weekend to all!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so December was a blur and I totally
    missed the pregnancy news... YEA! I'm so
    excited for you all! I hope you're feeling well.
    I did gingersnap cookies this time and they
    helped. I love the recipe for the pancakes.
    We'll have to try them this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a sweet post! those pancakes look delish!

    ReplyDelete