Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mother Hen

This week, my little chickadees watched me extra close.  It seemed every time I glanced over my shoulder, in the car at stop lights, all 3 little pinks were looking at me.  More than looking at me, they were cataloguing me.  If she could, Alice would have a notepad and pen recording my every move.  Emma would have a voice recorder narrating my interactions, and Sophie would be interpreting all of it in some form of a dance or song.



If I wore a dress, they pleaded for dresses of their own.  My nails were painted, they insisted on pinks and purples to graze their little nails and toes.

They climbed into my lap, wanting bites of whatever I was eating, regardless if the same meal was on their plate.  On walks, they didn't want to go in our normal cluster of bikes, scooters, and strollers.  They wanted to go in a line, following suit.  I felt like a mother hen, prancing in front of her chicks with them trailing behind.





Soon there will be another chick making her way into the line and we can't wait to welcome her into the fold.  Names...there's a few in the running right now.  We've included the girls in the conversation.  Bella Jane, Nora Jane, or Anna Jane are in the lead.  I want to choose now, the hubs is more of the game-time-decision type so time will tell.

Our week has been nothing out of the ordinary, other than the tornado that plopped down half a mile from our house...or tomato Sophie continues to call it. 

We've been home more, staying around the nest amidst trips to get groceries, take Bear to school, ballet, therapy.  Spending time with friends and watching babies play.





The essentials that trickle into the daily mundane lists of laundry, cleaning, and cooking.





With Miss Kristen.  She's the berries, hands down.

Daily walks and messes in the kitchen.  Our latest mess, we were out of chocolate chips, and that's a big deal in this house.  Somehow, we managed to have about 2 pounds of brown sugar.  Thus, Brown Sugar Cookies made the line up of things to be whipped up.
This recipe is super easy and the smells that fill your kitchen are simply wonderful.

On the topic of wonderful, we have some celebrating to do.
Alice has taken off.  My girl is taking steps on her own.  She'll take 3-4 steps at a time now when she's on mission.  She's adding words to her list, now the sweetest tone of voice brings you "bye" and "Hi mama".  Today my friend Kelsey spoke such life over our Bunny, saying how bright she is, how intelligent and strong she is.  How the Lord is marking her and using her.  I love this.  And I couldn't agree more.

Sister is working hard, dancing the Father's dance, moving to His pace.  And we are honored to watch this beautiful performance of His faithfulness, the power of prayer, and the ever so fabulous reminder of restoration in a little body.  She too is ready to follow suit in the line behind Mother Hen.

Speaking of Mother Hen, mama made a mistake in the kitchen this week and it turned out to be a fantastic blubber.

I was using my standby cookbook Better Homes and Garden, making a blueberry buckle.  I accidentally dumped the strudel into the cake batter and lost track of how much cinnamon I had added.  I made another batch of the strudel and poured it in the middle of the batter, in a bundt pan.

Good groceries I wish all mistakes turned out this sweet.  I'm convinced it would work with any coffee cake type recipe.

Right now, my little chicks are all napping.  Each little body wrapped in some form of florally, pink fabric.  Each little chest rising and falling, still and tender.  The house is quiet, no little voices or trampling feet adorned in princess slippers.



No one is preparing mud pies or twirling in her element.
 Much to be done, the list is never ending.  All Mother Hens know this well.


Soon, even now, they begin to stir.  Sounds and movements, little chicks ready to dance and play.  Mother Hen is tired today but rest must wait.
They are ready for her and she is ready for them, captivated and grateful.

2 comments:

  1. praise God, miss Alice! i love how wonderful our God is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and so true. Yay for Alice!! She knows when she is ready:) LOVE the names in the running, can't wait to hear what you decide!

    ReplyDelete