Friday, April 13, 2012

Relishing In

The settling into our new house continues.  Each of us with our own imaginary checklists marked off, with gratitude shouting from the roof tops that we're home.
And it's not just home, it's ours and it feels like home.

Right now we're relishing in...

Backyard Joys

We spend hours outside in our backyard, a.k.a. our very own personal Fairy Forest.  We start out clean and all lady like.




And our adventures usually end in someone actually eating their mud pie, in this case Alice.  Which means 2 things...one, sister made a mean pie and it must have tasted fabulous.

Two, the soundtrack to sunshine and play was set to laughter and joy.

Yes, please.

Another before and after in progress.
I have vision for this room of a harvest table, surrounded by stools for little hands to make and create.  Aisles hosting canvases, some blank awaiting creations, some full of wonder and beauty.  For now, less is more and I smile at these couches, our first purchase when we were engaged 8 years ago.
Sunroom Before
 After...for now.



Doing absolutely nothing
We love every room in the house, particularly the family room.  It's the perfect place to cozy up with a cup of coffee and be in their world. Most days their world spills into every room of the house.


All that's always a good thing.



Celebrating progress
My girl was a rock star this past week.  She grabbed essential items, a 5 of diamonds playing card and a pink crayon, walked 5 steps over to Alicia and handed her the goods.
Walked.  
We completely lost our cool and screamed, cheered, clapped, and cried.  For sure a fun phone call to make to the hubs.
She hasn't done it since then but we know she will and know she's capable.  Our pediatrician praised her growth and progress.  She's even in the 32% percentile for weight.

Oh this baby.  I am in awe of her.

Last minute recipes
Chris was out of town for a few days this week so us girls rallied together for some extra girly endeavors, including a bit more baking.  I had some apples and bananas that were overly ripe, perfect for Apple Banana Bread.

Apple Banana Bread
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 stick butter (softened)
2 ripe bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 apples (peeled and diced)

- mashed it all up with a potato masher (or wooden spoon) in a large bowl
- bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
- I greased a bunt pan and sprinkled oats at the bottom to make it extra pretty

Enjoy some chunky goodness.


Welcoming friends
We love having a full house.  Football in the fall, house church, friends over for dinner, play dates with little feet trickling through the house.
On this particular day, a princess play date with the Grigor ladies.  A blast of pink and purple, princess attire, and friendship.


I think Chris would put a revolving door on the front of the house if he could.  The more the merrier.
Bunny agrees.

Breakfast dates with friends
Shannon, Jenny and I loaded up our babies and a few friends for some donuts before school.  Sophie settled right in and devoured and conquered.  Sister is, after all, my daughter.

Emma, oh how she loves her Aunt Jenny.  Not sure what the topic of discussion was but my sweet one was so blessed by Jenny's kindness and attention.
New recipes from sweet gifts
Alicia surprised me one afternoon with this lovely gift, an herb garden.  Complete with all of my favorites.  So I did what any housewife would do, I tapped into my subconscious make-believe world that I am a Food Network chef.  I ditched the cleaning, piles of laundry, and I packed up those babies and headed to the store for ingredients circling around fresh herbs.
Fresh Guacamole
Easy Guacamole
4 avocados
1 tomato (diced)
1 garlic clove (finely diced into smitherines)
1 onion (diced)
handful of cilantro (diced)
lime juice (a few squeezes)
salt and pepper to taste...I'm pregnant, sodium is my best friend so I'm currently not a sane gage on salt content
- mix it all up and enjoy...it's even better the next day. 
My slight obsession with herbs didn't end with the guac, I moved onto the main course.
Chicken Enchiladas.
Chicken Enchiladas
1 onion (diced)
2 garlic cloves (diced)
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 can seasoned black beans
1 shredded chicken breast, cooked 
small handful parsley
small handful cilantro
1 package cheddar cheese (or colby jack)
- tortillas 6-10
- cook onion and garlic in butter for a few minutes on medium heat in large skillet
- throw in everything else but cheese and tortillas
- low heat for 40 minutes, covered
- you can stop here and serve it like soup 
-or grease a 9x13 pan, shred up tortillas and layer with the filling, and cheese, saving 1 c. juice and a handful of cheese for the top 
- pour juice over top, sprinkle with remaining cheese
- cover with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
- take foil off, bake 5-10 minutes
If you can't tell, I'm well into my second trimester and I am loving me some food right now...lots of it.
Independence mixed with invitations
Emma had Show and Tell at school the other day and asked me to come.  One of those requests I almost declined with my reasons of errands and things I must get done.  Some days I say no.  Today I said yes.  I slipped in to watch her eat her snack with friends and then reveal her goodies with clues to eager friends.
I could watch her all day.  I'm not sure what the Lord has for her some day, but I know it's big and Bear will love it.  I was honored, blessed to sit and watch a simple moment in her day and see her face light up just because I was there.  Me, the mama who loses her cool too much, gets cranky when she's tired, and lacks patience when she needs it most.  She wanted me there.
What an honor.

The prince of our castle
I met this man years ago in a high school football stadium.  He shook my hand and smiled at me.  I've never been the same.  I would have never dreamed that years later we would be raising this army of girls together, surrounded by all shades pink, and pleas to watch them twirl and dance.
He does it well, this thing of raising little princesses.  When the doctor said this baby in my womb was a girl, I quickly looked at Chris.  Was he disappointed?  Did he deep down want a son?  Was he saddened to let go of the dreams of little league and football?
No.
He smiled, he beamed, his face growing blush.  I love my girls he said.

They know it too.

We're grateful, so grateful.  The weekend promises rain and storms, deep inside I am happy as can be.  There will be movies, goodness created in the kitchen by little hands, long walks in the breeze hinting that rain is coming.  Afternoon pots of coffee will be brewed, naps taken by all.





The weekend is coming, let the celebration begin.


 Happy weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Love this post. I love all your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic of Emma kissing Sophie on the cheek, sweetness. Love your herb garden too!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the sunroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled on your blog and absolutely LOVE it! As the oldest of four girls, I am blessed to watch you relish in your "house of pink". Thank you for sharing your beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete