"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Saturday, June 9, 2012

For Alicia

3 years ago I had a lovely intern when I was on staff for our church.  She was really sweet and helpful and we easily bonded over our love for Africa.  Our interactions were brief and sparse, she'd drop off supplies and make trips to Kinko's.  A few months later, she was finishing up her fall semester of college, soon to graduate.  Chris and I felt the Lord say to offer her a place to live in our home.  I emailed her to offer our home, she politely said she had already made living arrangements.  A few months later, we had a huge ice storm and the ceiling in her apartment caved in.  A text came asking if the offer was still good for a place to live.
Yes, the offer still stands.
Alicia moved in with us soon after and our lives have never been the same.  For 2 1/2 years, she has been in our home and now she is moving out.  We trust His timing, we trust Him with her.  We are excited for where the Lord will take her and we are sad because she has become a place in our family forever marking all of us in ways rich in gratitude.

She has had a front row seat to our family.  Our marriage, bringing home babies from the hospital, raising toddlers, losing my dad, and the every day challenges of life as a family.  She has sat through arguments, parenting failures, and any mess made needing forgiveness and restoration.

We have been blessed beyond measure to have such a precious friend living in our home.  I can't even begin to articulate what she has brought my children, the kingdom influence of the Lord's promises and values over my children.  Her love for them stretches beyond caring and meeting their needs, extending into realms of heavenly honor and lavished affections of Jesus.  They further know His kindness, His grace, His freedom, and His presence through her relationship with them and in return their lives will be forever impacted.

Her stamp of tenderness and love has been left in so many ways, more ways are soon to be uncovered.  I sing Set a Fire to Alice every night because that's what she sang to her and my Bunny coos and asks for those words.  She sings to my babies at night and reads stacks of books to them.  At night they ask for her songs and her little quirks they had together.
My heart melts.
Some day she will have children and will catch a glimpse of the role she has played in their lives for the past few years.
And she will know the thankfulness that runs deep in my heart for someone who so selflessly poured out love in a way only evident of a relationship with the Lord that burns and fearlessly makes known the mysteries of the gospel.

For me, I have a sister, a best friend.  A relationship so special and unique that will continue but with a foundation of living life together and knowing every part of our hearts, beautiful and needing His influence, and yet still close and grateful.


She is a treasure.  A rare gem shimmering in this world for all to know, to taste and see of His goodness.  Spending her days at Starbucks making coffee drinks and living by night, setting the captives free from human trafficking.  Opening up our hearts and minds to a world in deep need of being rescued.  We rarely saw her as she lived here because her schedule is not her own, completely surrendered to His ways and voice.
Responding every time to His whispers and sounding trumpets, following with a heart of joy and freedom.











3 years ago I had a lovely intern when I was on staff for our church.  She was really sweet and helpful and we easily bonded over our love for Africa.  Our interactions were brief and sparse.
And today she has left our home and we are so sad.


My girl followed her car and walked down the grass until she couldn't see her car any longer.  She's only moving a few miles away but to my Rose it feels much to far.
Our Brown, we watched you leave today as a part of our family, a friend, a sister.  We love you more than you will ever know.  The love and deep thankfulness in our hearts overflows with joy and affection, gratitude to the Lord He would place you in our home for so long.
We love you and miss you already.

Thank you for everything, Alicia Brown.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how i LOVE and miss my family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, sweet post. I so loved seeing the effects of your special bond as a mere witness to it all! :)

    ReplyDelete