"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas is Coming

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I'll get to that in a minute.
I must begin with this treasure.  The hubs has a friend who owns Smith Island Cakes off the coast of Maryland and he kindly delivered this 8 layered cake to our house.  

And I've eaten a slice every day since.  
And it comes in this adorable tin cake box.
And there's a peanut butter chocolate one.
And my world has never been the same.
Back to Thanksgiving.
We loaded up our crew with 10 pounds of mashed potatoes, a few pies, 4 littles and headed to Texas for the holiday.  
It was beyond wonderful.  Cousins played, slept in piles on the floor after movies ended.  We feasted on deliciousness, went to parks, had late dinners out, rocked babies and listened to family love well.
We piled back into our car with tired babies but plenty of energy and excitement brewing because once home was in sight, we had much to do.
She needed to be celebrated.  Our Sophie turned 4 and a requested chocolate cake with pecans was the perfect touch to relish in her birth.  She came in the season of Thanksgiving, she came on a cool fall morning with loud hollers and cries, making sure we knew she was here.
Sister hasn't changed much.

Our time carried on with Christmas preparations inside the house and outside.  It took longer this year, lots of little hands wanting to help and do their share.



Boxes came from the attic, piles were made, trips to get more lights, pauses for diapers, and discoveries of new recipes.

Memories were made.

Halloween candy cookies








They make it wonderful.
They make it full.
They make it messy and we get to let go.


Christmas is coming.
Advent has begun, tracing back to the stories paving the way for a King.

The every day will continue.  The treasured gift of parenthood with the choice to respond to constant refinement of my weakness that surfaces.


We'll make messes and clean them up.  We'll say we're sorry and try again.
We'll slip under covers and cuddle with sleeping little ones and whisper how today didn't go as planned and how sorry I am.  How I love them and didn't mean for frustration to trump kindness.

We'll continue learning what it means to remain in grace and mercy.
Gifts ushered in beginning with soft cries from a stable in the moonlight of a manger.


Our hearts are filled with joy to celebrate the coming of the One who left heaven to bring goodness so rich with unconditional love.

Christmas is coming.

3 comments:

  1. I looove your posts. They stir my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that cake. Makes me wish my last name was Doke for the day it was delivered!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan! I was so excited to meet you today at Gingerbread! Ali is such a sweet heart! Maybe we can have a play date soon. Camryn would love to have other girls her age to play with! It makes my heart warm reading your posts! Merry Christmas!

    Jill Vroenen

    ReplyDelete