"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

"For You O Lord are a shield about me, You are the glory and lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Looking Back

Looking back on 2012 my heart is full with reflection and deep in memory.  I laugh, cry, smile, close my eyes and remember, wishing I had written down every single thing.  Wishing I could freeze her in time and remember her, just her.

Looking back I see a family on a journey to love each other well, to learn the inner workings of parenthood and raising babies.  Learning the joy of home packed full of princess tu tus, goldfish stashed in secret places, and endless messes piled with to-do lists.


Hearing words of developmental delays and checking for tumors, choosing peace in His promises and knowing she is destined for much, rich in purpose and plans by her Maker.

All little ones are.


Preparing and planning for our little one to come, the precious gift bestowed in surprise one winter day.  From the minute we learned she was coming, the happiness brewed.
And we carried that happiness throughout the year.

Looking back, a year in pictures...


First dance recital.

Living with friends while remodeling our house.


A surprise gift.




A toasty summer.



A surprise early arrival of our Bella Jane.

First day of preschool and kindergarten.



Getting to know her.





I could write for pages because there's a story for every picture, there's so much to say and savor in each moment and memory made.
The common thread running through my heart is the heritage of blessing received in family.
Learning to love for better or for worse, choosing the value of commitment and extending grace because I need it more than he does.
Learning to love them well, drawing them close when behavior repels my affections.  Pouring into them the truth the Lord has for them, the royalty and access to the throne room He has given in beautiful grace.

Looking back at 2012, I see that we had a blast and it was messy.  I see that we tried new things and giddily trickled back home to retreat to the nest.  I see that we left a house and lived with amazing friends until we settled into our new house.  I see that we spent a summer in the sun swimming, eating popsicles, and going on family walks.  I see that our Bella surprised us and came 3 weeks early and with her arrival made our family complete.
Looking back I see a family in the making.

For that I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. What a year you all had!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so enjoyed your blog, I know Daena Gustafson which is why I started reading it. You seem to embrace joy at every corner which is something I am trying to be better at. I hope you have a wonderful 2013!

    ReplyDelete